White Flowering Shrubs

June 25th, 2011         13 comments

Here are two mystery shrubs. I don’t know what they are, but both were blooming in the second week of June. Most of the creamy white flower clusters on the 8-10′ tall shrubs (above and right) are four-petals but there is a five-pointed one thrown in for good measure occasionally. The shrubs were covered in flowers and, in the fall, they will be covered in red berries. Last year, I thought I had identified them as High Bush Cranberry, but I was wrong.

Below, these blooms graced another shrub but were hidden in the understory so they weren’t very visible. They resemble the trumpets on catalpa or horse chestnut, but they aren’t either of those. Still, they are impressive in clusters that are about 6″ across. I’m sure someone will tell me what both of these plants are someday.

§ 13 Responses to "White Flowering Shrubs"

• K S Baldwin says:

Have you found out the name of the bottom picture? I have one of these and am looking for what to call it. Currently I refer to it as my firework bush, when it blooms it resembles an exploding firework to me and the bush is now about 13 foot tall or higher.

• DougPete says:

I’ve never found out what the bottom shrub is. There’s a gentleman who knows plants much better than I do who walks the millpond trail. It I see him when the shrub is blooming, I’ll see if he knows its name.

I did find out the name the plant in top image. It’s a Roughleaf dogwood (Cornus drummondii, Cornaceae) and can be seen on this page: http://thelifeofyourtime.wordpress.com/2011/06/26/random-plant-roughleaf-dogwood/

• Lisa says:

Did you ever find out what the bottom shrub is? I just found one growing in my yard, under other shrubs. I had planted a Pearl Bush there but this is completely different. I think it may be a white Beauty Bush? Your photo looks just like it. Thanks for any help.

• DougPete says:

Hi Lisa,

No, I haven’t found the name of it yet, but I have a contact now who might be able to identify it. I’ll see what I can do!

• DougPete says:

I’ve done some more checking and think the shrub in the lower photo is a variety of Weigela. I can’t find an exact match for the one in the photo, but they grow in our zone 4-5 region and they were often grown in times past. The photographed is right beside the shore of the millpond and trees have grown for several decades over the top of it, I think. So it makes sense someone planted it there years ago. Here are a couple of links to similar varieties:

If I find out anything more, I’ll post it on this page. It will be blooming again in about 45 days so I’ll try to remember to take more descriptive photos and get good shots of the leaves, too.

• Lisa says:

I am fairly confident that it is a Spirea, “White Knight”, although I have no idea how it got in my garden. Possibly a mislabeled plant? I haven’t planted anything in that area for at least 5 years. Thanks for getting back to me.

• Lisa says:

The flowers on the Weigela look so similar, although my plant is much shorter with buds placed singley along the stem. Beautiful.

• Barbara McClellan says:

I think the Weigela Florida Sonic Bloom™ Pearl nails it. Doug, I just sent Joyce a list of flowers that look similar before I opened the link you provided. I’m now convinced you are right. — Barbara

• Barb Smithson says:

Try looking at Kolkwitzia (Beauty Bush) much planted in the eastern US after WWI. Now reassigned as
    Linnaea amabilis, with shrubs including abelia.

• Kimberly S Baldwin says:

Bottom one is Kolkata amabalis. Also known as the beauty bush. Missouri Botanical Garden is who advised me.

• Kimberly S Baldwin says:

Kolkwitzia amabalis, sorry

• Dianne Dawes says:

The shrub looks like Rothmannia Globosa or commonly named Tree Gardenias. It flowers here in Australia in Springtime and is very fragrant.

• Dianne Dawes says:

The shrub looks like Rothmannia Globosa or commonly known as Tree Gardenia, the flowers have a delightful fragrance. It flowers here in Sydney, Australia in Springtime.
    Kind regards
    Dianne

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

What's this?

You are currently reading White Flowering Shrubs at Brighton, Michigan's Millpond Nature Blog: Words4It.

Featuring

• Douglas Peterson
    Brighton, Michigan

Artist • Designer
    Writer • Illustrator
    Marketing Strategist

You'll find information about the resident ducks, birds, and critters residing at the Brighton millpond. I slip in my art and poetry, but my photography of wildlife and plants is the primary focus.

Douglas Alden Peterson

Email Doug

7,000 Photos

All 103 pages have small "Older Entries" and "Newer Entries" links to more than 2,800 posts. Don't miss them.

Your first visit?
    Start at the beginning.

Search helps you find specific topics. Tags and Categories provide other helpful methods. Scroll down to see them on the right side of this page.

Post Comments!
    Click headlines to submit comments. They'll appear once approved. I feed spammers to millpond muskrats.

Clicking most photos opens larger/more detailed versions in new windows. I highly recommend it.

• Duck feeding and care:
    Want a Pet Duck?
    Duck Rescue Network

At Brighton's Millpond:

• Are you an expert?
    Please correct my wildfowl and plant misinformation with comments. I need your help. My knowledge is mostly anecdotal.
  • Blogs I Enjoy